Thursday, February 5, 2015

Charging Our Batteries

After several weeks of difficult behaviors and unpredictable emotional outbursts, I was feeling pretty rundown, agitated, and, well, angry. I was tired of D ruining everyone's morning, afternoon, and evening with his outbursts, screaming, yelling, arguing, hitting, pushing, throwing, and intimidating. Consequences didn't work. Incentives didn't work. Therapy didn't provide relief. Family game night, Xbox night, and stations didn't work. Even our nanny had mentioned how challenging things had gotten for her in the 30 minutes she watched the kiddos after school. Everyone was constantly on guard, ready to intervene at a moment's notice.

My husband had to work late, and I was supposed to do homework, supper, and baths. I decided to change the plan. The weather had been cold and yucky for a few weeks, so we couldn't go outside. What could we do instead? Well, we did homework and then watched a movie, at supper, and then watched a second movie. I was kind of embarrassed and horrified that my children were spend three hours watching TV on a school night, but I was amazed at the result! My kids were just as run down and agitated as I was! We had a great evening together with no fighting, screaming, or physical aggression. We laughed at Alvin, Simon, and Theodore and their crazy antics. Everyone went to bed without fighting and woke up the next morning in a pleasant mood. After nearly two months of crazy schedules, holiday events, vacation, and lots of indoor recess, they just needed a night to charge their batteries!

I am making a note to self that kids need veg time too sometimes. Not once a day or once a week, but they need it just the same. When I look back, we have been on the go since about Thanksgiving! No wonder my older two said they felt angry and mean but didn't know why. Sometimes good parenting is not following the "good parent" guidelines - it is making exceptions and breaking rules. 

Sometimes we all need to charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment