Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Week 3 - Finding the Right Foods

Three weeks down! I have lost 4.4 pounds!

I think I have been more successful than in the past for several reasons: 
1) I am very motivated to make a change because I want to be able to wear all of my clothes and button all of my pants. 
2) I am more realistic than I have been in the past. I know that I can't kick caffeine completely right now or stay under my calorie goal every day. What I can do is limit my caffeine and set aside a cheat meal so I have something to look forward to if I have followed the rules the rest of the days. I don't feel deprived! 
3) I have been more successful at finding the right foods for me. In the past, I have tried tons of ingestible options to help me lose weight: supplements, meal replacement shakes, diet pills, no carbs, and so on. This time, I am focusing on finding the right foods for me. Those are foods that are high in protein and flavor, but they are still "real food." Let me explain. I can't make it if I have to live on shakes and diet food. Gross! I also have to have foods that work with my teacher schedule and keep me going all day. 

Here is a sample of what I eat in a day with my 1300 calories I am allowed (more if I exercise): 

Breakfast (about 300 calories) 
Key Lime greek yogurt (4.5 grams of fat, but tons of protein and flavor) 
Homemade protein bars, breakfast bars, or nuts (more protein) 

Morning Snack (about 100 calories) 
Fruit (Something sweet and around 100 calories - frozen grapes, frozen cherries, strawberries, banana)

Lunch (about 200 calories) 
Tamales (my favorite food in the world!) 
Diet Dr. Pepper (I just have to have something sweet) 

PM Snack (about 100 calories) 
Something salty such as air-popped popcorn, cheesestick, cottage cheese

Supper (about 600 calories) 
A nice home cooked meal with protein and veggies, maybe even a grain or starch. 

If I still have points, I will indulge in a glass of white or maybe a small bite of chocolate-covered fruit for dessert. 

This type of eating works the best for me because I don't feel deprived of sweet things and foods I love like my lime yogurt, Diet DP, tamales, and cheese! I know I need to add in some more veggies and fruits, and I plan on checking out some smoothie recipes to help out with that. I hate having to eat something different than my family, so, even though I am eating my biggest meal at the wrong time, I can eat what everyone else is eating. I love cooking too, so this works out great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment