Saturday, January 10, 2015

Week 1 - Temptations and Cravings


I am on a roll streak of logging my food and activity. Some reflections on the past few days:

  • Planning ahead: It is a LOT easier to be successful if I plan my calories the night before. If I try to do it throughout the day, I go over.
  • Temptations: I have been tempted with yummy treats both days I have been back at work. On the first day, it was a cinnamon roll, so it was very easy to pass. Today, however, we had a party for a staff member. There were homemade cookies, two kinds of cake, and punch. I am not much of a cookie and cake eater, but I LOVE punch made with sherbet or sorbet! I was able to say no because I knew I had planned all my calories already, but it was hard! 
  • Cravings: I have cravings from 2:00 in the afternoon until bedtime. After school used to consist of a snack or two, then supper, then a bedtime snack of popcorn or ice cream. No wonder I am in tough shape! What I plan to do to help my cravings is to spread out my breakfast (usually a granola bar or pack and a yogurt). I will eat some of it before school, and the rest during my daily meeting time. Then I will eat half my lunch and save the other part for plan time or after school at the end of the day. That way I am still eating the same number of calories, but I am spreading out the food and (hopefully) preventing some craving times. 
  • Drinks: I also am increasing my water intake. I used to drink 1-3 diet sodas a day. Now I still have one a day, but the rest of the day is water with a flavor enhancer. I like water if it is ice cold, but I like it at any temperature with the enhancers. I am also minimizing my trips to the local coffee shop for my delicious latte....and no more wine with dinner! Seriously, I was drinking a ton of calories every day! 
  • Exercise: I am still not exercising. I know I should. I have a million excuses (homework with kids, meetings, church, bath night, supper, tired feet, cold weather). If I wanted to, however, I would do it. If I wanted something badly enough (like coffee or wine or popcorn), I would be willing to do some exercising. Watching Jimmy Fallon while on the elliptical is pretty great, so maybe there is hope! 
  • Sleep: My sleep habits have been horrible for the past several years...probably since 2010. I am keeping my electronics away from my bed, which has already increased my sleeping time, and I have been crawling into bed and starting to calm down about an hour earlier than I used to. I still hate mornings, but it is so nice to have time to do my daugther's hair, eat breakfast, and do my own hair nicely each day! I like sleep! 
In a few days, it will be time for me to weigh in again. I am hoping that I see the fruits of my labor, but I also know that it takes time. The first time I lost a lot of weight, I lost about 2 pounds a month for a year. I was able to keep that weight off for many years, so I know I can do it. I am not in my 30s, so it will probably be more difficult, but I have confidence - and accountability! 

No comments:

Post a Comment