Saturday, March 8, 2014

What a difference a year makes! …or 15 months

I started this entry before the New Year…clearly I have been distracted!

At this time last year, I had just returned to work after my adoption leave. My youngest child was wearing 18 month/2T clothing at the age of 3, he didn't know his colors, couldn't use a spoon, and fell over every few steps. My daughter was covered in rashes and scabs from her anxiety and eczema, and she wouldn't go anywhere in public without being held (even though she was 4 1/2). My oldest son couldn't read and was the lowest kindergartener in his class. Throughout these 15 months, we have struggled with behavior, schedules, disabilities, health concerns, febrile seizes, and more, but we survived! 

Fast forward to March 2014. We are a "normal" family (most of the time). We have good days and bad days. There are temper tantrums, potty accidents, and sibling rivalry. There are cuddles, healthy children, and countless happy memories. Sometimes I feel so frustrated that I have to take a time out. Sometimes I feel so distracted that I leave two faucets running while I start putting away laundry with my toothbrush in my mouth. Sometimes I laugh so hard that I hurt and feel so much joy that I cry. 

Yes, my kids still have obstacles to overcome from their biology and the trauma they experienced before arriving, but we are doing very well. 

What a difference a year makes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment