Sunday, March 16, 2014

Footprints

As I pack my house, I have been thinking about how we each leave footprints in this world.

Even though we were only in this home for two years, we parented six children here. Their hand-prints and toys hidden in remote corners I apparently haven't cleaned well remind me that, even though we may only be present in someplace for a short while (like a job, a town, this earth), we leave marks on the people we meet. Our lives affect those around us, whether positive or negative.

We leave this house in a very different place than when we arrived. We have changed some cosmetic and functional features of this building, but the changes we have undergone while living here are so much more. We experienced the loss of three foster children in this home. We met neighbors who have welcomed, loved, and supported us through our journey. I "found" our children on the internet while sitting at my kitchen table. We became a forever family here.

When we faced difficult times, I struggled with anger, sadness, and impatience. In this house, I was able to see all the pieces of my brokenness come back together. Just as there are holes and scuffs on the walls of this home that can be filled to blend in, I have been filled. The walls will never be the same as they were when they were first built, but they can be made whole again, ready for the next family to make their marks. In that same way, we can never undo the scars from our life experiences, but we can be healed leaving us ready for our next season.

This move serves as a great metaphor for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment