Saturday, January 2, 2016

Abused Animals

You know those terribly depressed commercials about abused animals? They just rub me the wrong way. In fact, the last time I saw one during a family gathering, I spewed a bit along the following lines: 

So we all know that abused dogs don't like loud noises and things, right? They will tremble and sometimes even pee. No one yells at them for acting on their instincts. We all are careful to be cautious with the animal because the abuse was not the animal's fault. We realize that they will have problems, possibly for the rest of their lives, and we don't expect them to ever go back to being a "normal" dog because of what they experienced. The abuse changed them permanently, no matter how long ago it took place. How come people expect humans to be able to overcome abuse and neglect and just "act normal"? Those abused animals clearly have PTSD, but no one accuses them of making up the long-lasting effects of the trauma. No one tells them to get over their fear of balloons or loud noises. Instead, we have commercials and fundraisers. But a kid with PTSD must just be hyper and naughty, choosing to act in ways that are socially unacceptable, right? That makes absolutely no sense to me. We can see how trauma affects creates that can't really process things, so why do we expect kids to get over it? That just irritates me! 

No one responded. I think I made my point. And I don't think anyone called in to start up a monthly donation to rescue any animals. Don't get me wrong, I feel great compassion and deep sadness when I think about animals that have experienced abuse and neglect. I just think humans deserve the same compassion and empathy that we extend to animals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment