Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Dentist

Not everyone enjoys the dentist. I have always loved going for my check-ups every six months. If it was allowed, I would probably go every month just to have that really clean, sparkly feeling in my mouth. I love it! My oldest, however, really hates the dentist. When a child struggles with PTSD, anxiety, and hypervigelence, something like a dental visit is complete sensory overload! Between all the people, noises, and smells, it is enough to make him want to run the other way. Talk about intense! The actual feel of the dental instruments, the water sprayer, and - gasp - the suction straw make him almost sick. I don't really recall the first time or two we took D to the dentist. Maybe Dad sat with him while I was with someone else. I now know that it is definitely on his list of activities he would prefer to avoid - at all costs! On Monday, he will have sealants done. His last hygienist was great, so hopefully she will have him again. Last time, he looked at her and said, "I like you, but I hate you touching my teeth." Without missing a beat, she smiled and thanked him. Amazing! We had to cover his face with a washcloth while she sprayed them, and he spit into a cup rather than the suction straw as much as possible. Here's to hoping Monday goes well!


No comments:

Post a Comment