Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Honeymoon?

So the kids have been doing great! Besides my meltdown when I returned to work for a day, they have really been doing well with transitions, school, eating, sleeping, potty-training, and everything else. Yes, they test our boundaries like normal preschoolers. Yes, it is tough to suddenly have three kids vying for your attention. It's not like things are going perfectly here, but they are going really well. This leads lots of people to tell me that this is just the honeymoon and that things are bound to get worse. So here we are waiting for the bottom to fall out.

I thought yesterday was the day. Our kindergartener woke up with a fever, and the little two were testing boundaries all day. I thought this was the beginning of an unraveling. My daughter threw a fit at preschool for the teacher, and then threw a fit when I picked her up. She laid down on the sidewalk and screamed, refusing to leave unless I carried her. I am not very inclined to carry a four-year old, but I am even less inclined when I have two other kids to walk to the car. After all was said and done, we had a decent even, but she was quite cold towards me. I cried before I went to bed, certain that I had ruined her relationship with me over carrying her to the car. It was a hard day.

I woke up refreshed after a great night's sleep, and so did my daughter. We have had a stellar morning, and she is now happily at preschool. I hope she does great when I pick her up :) Maybe we are still in the honeymoon. Or maybe they really are going to adjust well and just have occasional bad days like all children.

No comments:

Post a Comment