Saturday, September 15, 2012

I am...complicated

I am a first time blogger. I have come to a point in my life where I don't know anyone else who has the same experiences as me, so I am reaching out to the big world wide web. Perhaps someone else will be able to relate. First, let me explain my life.

I am a wife to a great husband. We recently celebrated our 6th anniversary, and we look forward to scores more!

I am a teacher. I taught 6th and 7th grade math for six years. Two years ago we moved, and I began teaching 6th grade elementary. I loved teaching math, but I am also enjoying teaching a wider variety of subjects and having only one group of students rather than 100 students.

Here is where it gets complicated.

I am a parent...I have struggled with parenthood for the past two and a half years. We had a miscarriage with our first child at 13 weeks. We didn't know we had miscarried, so it was a shock when we went to our appointment to hear the heart beat only to find out our baby had died. After a few months, we decided to try again. With the second pregnancy, the doctor knew it was not progressing normally. After a month of appointments, ultrasounds, and blood draws, we miscarried our second child as well. During this time, I struggled more emotionally and spiritually than at any other point in my life. I cried out to God to save my child. I feared each day that I would lose my second baby. It was hell for me. We pursued some testing and found that, as far as they could tell, there are no reasons that we cannot have a healthy baby. Because of the emotional toll, however, we were not sure we could handle another pregnancy.

We decided at that point to look into foster parenting. We started the process and were almost done with a home study and licensing when we unexpectedly moved to another state. Because we hadn't completed the process, we had to start it all over again in our new state. After 11 months of paperwork, trainings, and background checks, we began foster in November 2011. We knew we wanted to adopt a sibling group through foster care. We would gladly have adopted any of the foster children that have been in our home, but that opportunity did not present itself. I guess a public venue is not really the place to share intimate details about something that isn't official and legal yet, but we have been chosen to adopt a family of three. It is an out of state adoption of three kiddos under six years old. The paperwork and logistics could be quite time consuming. We were one of more than 30 families that applied for them, so I can hardly believe we were chosen. At the same time, however, I KNEW when I saw them that they were my kids. Not only will we be adopting these kiddos, we currently have a child with us...so we are about to be parents of FOUR kids. FOUR. What a scary and exciting thing! I don't know how to do that much laundry, organize my house to make room for them, or plan how to spend one-on-one time with each child each day so that they can bond with us and know that they are loved and cared for. It will be a challenge.

I am excited by having our forever family, anxious to have some answers, overwhelmed by the huge changes coming our way, and happier than I could have imagined!

Maybe you can relate? Maybe you have some advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment